Kaiser Permanente is the best US health insurance company in 2023, according to Insure.com’s annual ranking.
In the final 1 through 5 scores, 60 percent came from member survey results, 25 percent from NCQA quality ratings, and 15 percent from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which tracks customer complaints against payers.
The survey portion of the ranking was conducted in late 2022 and asked 1,500 customers about their health plans across multiple categories, including customer satisfaction, ease of service and policy offerings. Respondents were also asked to rank their insurer’s top three attributes out of more than a dozen presentations.
The research was a collaboration with David Marlett, PhD, managing director of the Brantley Risk and Insurance Center at Appalachian State University in North Carolina.
Top 10 health insurers in 2023:
- Kaiser Permanente: 4.16
- UnitedHealthcare: 4.15
- Athens: 3.8
- Elevance Health (Anthem): 3.63
- Humane: 3.61
- BCBS Michigan: 3.5
- Blue Shield of California: 3.3
- Florida Blue: 2.98
- Molina Healthcare: 2.96
- Cigna: 2.9
Top health insurers by category:
- Best for customer satisfaction: Kaiser
- Best for ease of service: Kaiser
- Best for policy offerings: Kaiser and Blue Shield of California
- Best digital experience: Aetna
- Best for seniors: Humana
- Best low deductibles: Blue Shield of California
- Best for its provider network: Elevance
- Best for its referral policy: UnitedHealthcare
- Most likely to be recommended to others: Kaiser
- Most trustworthy: Kaiser
- Best for renewals: Elevance
Read the full ranking and methodology here.